Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 3

Short post today because I'm just very busy (never enough time to get everything done, never).

So now marks the near end of day 3 of my second attempt at polysleeping. As I've mentioned before, this feels like a sort of abomination since I'm getting a 6 hour core and two 20 minute naps, but again, I unfortunately don't have the luxury of time to take a solid 2-3 weeks off to focus squarely on adapting to a more intense Everyman or Uberman schedule. The adaption phase is still very early, of course, but it's much more mild than the first three days on the 3-hr Everyman. Even by day 6 on the latter, I was really struggling. I was hitting the naps perfectly, but I was still combating the accumulating sleep-dep and adjusting to the REM / Deep-Sleep compression. At the end of day 3 on this routine, I must attest that I am probably 85-90% functional. I still notice mild bouts of drowsiness every now and then, but the most notable affect thus far has been a hit to my short-term memory, particularly with reading. At work, I noticed that after reading several paragraphs, I would stop, think, and realize I had little or no recollection of what I just read. Oddly enough, I was able to memorize my batch of 25-vocab cards of the day for the GREs, but that was only after several repetitions. Of course, we'll see how much I remember tomorrow morning.

I'm afraid that's about it for now. I need to edit a cover letter, take care of some emails for scouts, and make another run through my vocab words in the next 90 minutes. I did a fair amount of reading over the weekend on sleep and will make some posts detailing what I've learned in the near future. I also see potential for being a sort of sleep counselor - brief conversations with co-workers indicate that sleep problems are more pervasive than one may think. How sad!

No comments:

Post a Comment