Thursday, August 26, 2010

Day 5

Yesterday was an improvement in many regards. First of all, I slept like a baby last(last) night - much of that was probably due to running myself ragged playing Ultimate Frisbee with some friends from High School. Secondly, I think that I'm finally starting to utilize the naps more effectively. I didn't feel that the first nap (7:40 am) was very good, although it was restorative and got me through the morning. The afternoon nap (12:00pm), however, was different. I don't recall any dreaming, but I remember "blacking out" for a while. So at least I *know* I was alseep, but for how long I can not say.

The sleep-dep isn't too bad. I'm still not completely with it in the morning due to the sleep inertia, but that's really not much different than how I felt sleeping monophasically. The mornings are getting better though, slowly but surely. Also, my memory / short-term retention is continuing to improve and I feel like I can recall most of what I read on a regular basis. My major concern is the napping, so I know that I'll eventually be out of the woods once those naps really start feeling good.

Speaking of naps - most sources that I've seen for the Polyphasic Routine with the 6 hr core, including Pure Doxyk's own book, argues for a 6/1 (6 hr core and 1 nap). However, I think that it's slightly off. As the NIH chart I posted a few days ago demonstrates, a typical adult hits 5-REM cycles in one night. Since the purpose of the naps is to make up for those cycles and a 6 hr polyphaser is missing two cycles, I think 2 naps are justified. Continuing this relationship, 4.5 hr core = 3 naps, 3 hr core = 4 naps, 1.5 hr core = 5 naps, and then one is left with Uberman at 6 naps. Whether or not it's actually true, I'm not sure. However, it's nice and sequential, and it also fits with the logic behind Occam's Razor (the simplest answer to a question is generally the correct one). But then again, I'm also only starting day six of this routine and don't expect to be anywhere near adapted for another 3 weeks.

Lastly, I should note, although I feel stiff and sore (more from just being too inactive for too long), some exercise is really helpful for adaption. It increases your fatigue so that you get to sleep quicker, and sleep better. Plus, exercise is great for you mentally and physically, too. In addition to the frisbee two days ago, I also did some light weight lifting yesterday. Today, I'll probably go for a light run for 2 miles or so. Probably sometime early next week, my Yoga books will arrive in the mail (Amazon + Free Shipping), and I'm hoping to incorporate 3 days of yoga, 2 days of running, and 2 days of lifting before too long. This means some sort of activity every day, but hopefully it balances out!

No comments:

Post a Comment