Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Polyphasic Sleep Experiment: Day 5

This morning represents the beginning of my 6th day on the 3-hr Everyman and boy was yesterday eventful!

My 6 am nap was particularly interesting - I had my first lucid dreams in a long time (for what I can remember)! I was actually dreaming that I was sleeping in my dream and then woke up at a noise outside my window. I'm almost positive it's a dream because although I remember my vision during the dream to blurry for a brief moment, everything then came into focus (and I know that I didn't put on my glasses during this dream). The lack of glasses and seeing in perfect focus = dream. Sometime later, during the same nap, I dreamed that my cousin and his wife were outside my window and asked me to print something off my computer. I was going to say the ink cartridges in my cheap printer were empty, but my alarm clocks beat me to the cue and I officially woke up.

Although that 6 am nap was pretty neat, it wasn't terribly restorative. I was feeling pretty tired, so I decided to add in another cat nap. I read on Steve Pavlina's blog that while he was (successfully) adapting to Uberman, he'd insert an additional 7th nap at times where he felt he needed it. Therefore, I ended up adding a fifth 20 minute nap at 8 am, giving me three naps at 6am, 8am, and 10am, respectively. I have to say that it did the trick, especially as the fatigue went away for the remainder of the day. I will continue to add an extra quick nap, spacing naps to approximately 2 hours apart, should I ever enter another spell of fatigue again since it seems to be efficacious.

On that note, I should also mention how much easier it is becoming to fall asleep once I start my nap. I'm not sure how they're working as it relates to the 1-5 cycles of sleep, but I notice that I sleep off into unconsciousness sooner than I did during the first few days.

Lastly, it's just shy of 2 am and I'd like to get some work done. However, I feel a bit tired. I was reading in Sleep Thieves, by Stanley Coren, that for *most* people, their period of maximum tiredness was between 1-4am. I'm starting to see some truth behind this, so I wonder if my placement of the 10pm-1am core is not being used optimally. Just so I don't completely butcher my transition, I think I'll move my core to 11-2am tonight and try that our for a few days. Depending on how that works, I can also play around with 12-3am. The 1-4am nap will be difficult since I like to get a 20 minute nap in before work (6-6:30am, then get ready for work for 6:30-7:30, and get to work at 8:00). That being said, I suppose that I could move the early morning nap to 6:30-7, make my lunch before hand, hop in the shower once I wake up, and then out the door I go.

We'll see ... but today, my primary concern is just being able to function well during work. I struggled during my first two days on Everyman because they were on workdays, so this will be a great opportunity to see what kind of progress I am making!

No comments:

Post a Comment