Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Polyphasic Sleep Experiment: Day 4

Successful completion of day 4 on the 3-hour Everyman! Yesterday was better than the previous three days in just about every way and I am continuing to hit the naps perfectly (thank God for the weekend!). I'm also having no problem with the alarms. Admittedly, I am setting 3 to wake me up during my core sleep, but I'm getting away with only needing 1 alarm during my daily naps. Huzzah for 10 years of alarm conditioning!

So the major development during day 4 was my ability to sit down and read for 2-hours between my last nap and three-hour core going into day 5 without my brain kicking and screaming along the way. The book I was reading was quite heavy, but still, it was an awkward feeling considering that I could play on the PC or watch netflix on-end without any negative consequences (actually, I feel less tired on the computer). Every past attempt to sit down and do any substantive reading resulted in feeling heavy fatigue after 15-30 minutes (even earlier yesterday). It was great to finish my book last night because now I'm going to start reading about sleep itself, starting with "Sleep Thieves" by Stanley Coren. Even more so, I'm going polyphasic to learn more, to read more, to milk more out of life ... not to become a video game junkie (those years are behind me now, like my daily coffee).

The massive headaches and feeling that I'd been run over by a semi is gone, also. As I noted earlier, this feeling hit me quite hard around 2 pm on Day 2 and around 8 pm on Day 3. I think this is the most substantive proof that I'm slowly going beyond the sleep-dep and getting the rest my body needs. I wish the adaptation phase was quicker, but considering that I'm making progress, I guess I can't complain. The next big challenge is that I'll be at work again tomorrow for day-6 of my polyphasic transition. I'm almost positive that it will be better than day-2, but I wonder how much more so?

And before I forget, I also awoke early from another one of my 4 naps yesterday by exactly 1 minute again. I had the alarm set for 23 minutes, which I hope is a happy medium between 20 and 25 minutes. I'm still aiming for the 20 minutes of good-quality nap, so I'm adding the 3 minutes to compensate for the time I need to fall asleep (if I actually manage to do so).

As for dreaming - I only remember having one dream during my naps thus far, and even that one is fuzzy in my memory. I think it had something to do with an episode of South Park I had watched before taking the nap....

No comments:

Post a Comment