Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Polyphasic Sleep Experiment: Day 1

I just completed my first day on the new polyphasic sleep routine. Conventionally, it's known as the 3 hour Everyman and consists of one "core' 3-hour nap from 10 pm to 1 AM and then four 25-minute naps spaced out equidistantly throughout the day at 6 am, 10 am , 2 pm, and 6 pm. To me, this is a challenge, an opportunity, and in the long run, I think (and hope) a blessing in disguise.

Sleep has never been one of my strengths. Historically, I tire easily, handle sleep depravity poorly, and need at least 8 hours of sleep to have any shot of having a fully functional day. In comparison with other people who suffer from serious bouts of insomnia, night terrors, sleepwalking, or other nocturnal difficulties, I realize I am not one to complain. Still, I cannot help to think that something is wrong with my own sleep routine ... and I'm determined to fix it.

The purpose of this experiment is simply to feel more rested and energetic throughout the day. Of course, this is where the irony of cutting down on my sleep comes to play. But the theory goes, as purported by successful polyphasers, that the body simply does not need 8 hours of continuous sleep each night, nor is it naturally inclined to receive its rest from such. I've read some argue that biphasic sleep is the mankind's natural predisposition (siesta, anyone?). But honestly, who can squeeze in a 90-120 minute nap in the middle of the day?  Derivations of polyphasic sleep stem from the biphasic schedule by dispersing sleep opportunities throughout the day and reducing the length of "core" sleeps.

The ultimate practice in the polyphasic realm is the "uberman" routine. I tried this for about a week during my Freshman year and boy did it suck. The adaption period is supposedly 14-28 days, so I should have stuck with it longer. It shouldn't seem surprising that an ingrained habit (particularly one for nearly 20 decades) would be resistant to change (think homeostasis), but, I chalk this past snafu up to weak self-discipline and hope that a more mature and grown up "me" will be successful this time - particularly on a more moderate and replicable cycle.

So with that said: My first day on the 3 Hour Everyman was well ... not the 3 hour everyman. I actually slept for a core 4.5 hours and took four naps. While this still reduces sleeping time to 6.5 hours daily (quite an accomplishment for me, really), I thought, "lets raise the bar just a bit." So, I've reduced my core to 3 hours and will continue with the 4 naps, which seems to be quite standard for this particular routine. Four naps on the 4.5 hr everyman seems to be overkill from what I've read, but I always need to avoid the "one-shoe-fits-all" mentality for sleep as it rarely applies to anything in life.

My first accomplishment of this experiment is actually quite monumental for me. For the first time since I can remember (and I'm talking about years here), I did not have my early morning coffee ... and the universe did not implode! Under normal conditions, God forbid I forget my AM cup of joe. This would result in a prolonged day of headaches and utter unpleasantness. I don't know if my body is in "WTF" mode, or I'm just overly preoccupied with this alteration, but absence of caffeine did not cripple me! In fact, I didn't even notice it (so much for ingrained habits).

Note: Coffee apparently inhibits REM sleep (the ultimate target of the polysleeper), so while I'm adjusting and adapting to the 3-hour Everyman, no more coffee for me! Which is just fine, except I will miss its taste.

As for actually waking up and functioning, I'm doing ok. I feel a little fatigued (and felt that way for the better part of yesterday), but was surprisingly productive at work. There was certainly a lot less noise in my head, which often prevented me from concentrating, and I'm guessing this is just from the disruption of my normal routine. I'd like to eventually feel rested but focused; energetic yet composed. Many who have made the transition into the polyphasic realm claim to reap these benefits, so I hope the rule applies to me.

Other than that, I feel like I've been mildly sleep-deprived, and as time passes, the sleep-dep will eventually catch up with me (week 2-3). That's when I expect the real adjustment to take place. As for now, there really isn't anything exceptional or noticeable to report ... except that it's 2:15 am and I am awake writing on a new blog. But hey, things could be much, much stranger!

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with this! I can't imagine trying to do this myself, I really do need 8 hours each night ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm normally the same way, except even on 8 hours, I still struggle to make it through the day. I figure that's no way to live, hence this little experiment!

    ReplyDelete